Hi, I'm Marq, I was born in Wiesbaden, Germany at Lindsey Air Base. I'm studying Media and Animation. Love art, always have. I'm Working as a security gaurd and soon to be Staff Sargeant in the Air Force reserves. Personally, I try to be decent towards people, but I tend to keep to myself. I try to be talkative but I really don't have much to say, so please don't get offended if I don't spark a conversation every time. Good side to that is, I have a good ear if you have anything to say. Stay up.
Monday, November 29, 2010
Marquise Nurse-Williams
11.29.10
English
Dawn Blunk
Paragraph #2
Work and Education
In Andrew Braaksma’s essay “Some Lessons from the Assembly Line,” he gives a view of his life
as a student during his summer months out of school. He shows how grateful he is to be back in school when
the long grueling hours as a temp at the factory are over. He learns the value of education and now knows
how hard life could be for him if he only worked dead end jobs instead of getting educated and earning a
degree. I have had a similar situation as Braaksma working in a Pepsi factory and have been inspired by that
experience to go for a degree myself.
When I was younger, about 22, I had a job working with the machinery in a Pepsi Factory. A job I
didn’t mind at first being a huge Pepsi consumer. Yet those were the longest and most tedious working days
I’ve seen so far . I worked a machine that I placed trey after trey onto a conveyor. Every five minutes it
seemed it would get jammed up and I would have to figure out how to fix it in a different way every time,
slowing down production. I’d try the stop button, then the go button. Then I’d try a combination of the
different buttons hoping it loosened before I kicked the thing. My boss was a slave driver and wouldn’t let up
for a second howling “go faster!” at a bewildering rate. I got sick of this job and realized I need to get a
degree or I’m just not going to make it like this.
As a result, I moved on to not only working at a college but also going to college with a serious
intention to succeed. I do not want to have to go back to a crummy dead end job like the ones I’ve had in
the past. Like Braaksma, I felt a relief when separating from that job and coming back to school. Pressure
lifted and I see a better way of making money in my future rather than working long hours, doing something I
really don’t enjoy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment